Plymouth PTS Specialty Programs
Applied Functional Science
Applied Functional Science (AFS) is a unique approach that uses the collaboration of the physical, biological, and behavioral science used to treat patients as a whole. AFS uses biomechanics affected by the everyday forces of life to identify and treat the underlying cause of an injury.
- Physical: Functional mechanics of the joints and muscles as they respond to everyday activities
- Biological: Functional application of neuromuscular properties in everyday activities
- Behavioral: Why are you here? Incorporating personal driving factors and goals for betterment in your individualized treatment plan
AFS v. Traditional Therapy
- Traditional Therapy [Local Joint Focused]: Using therapeutic exercise focused on the muscles around affected joint to correct injured join or muscle. Manual treatments are used to improve movement in the affected joint. Successful treatment evaluated by reduction of pain and improved joint strength.
- Functional Approach [ Whole-Body Focused]: Focused on correcting the underlying cause of the injured joint or muscle since the source of pain and cause of pain are rarely the same. Individual therapeutic exercise developed on patient-specific mechanics and affected functional tasks. Manual treatments utilized to help facilitate normal functional mechanics, evaluated by restoring pain free function lost due to injury.
Performance Running Academy (PRA)
Imagine yourself running with new confidence, breathing fresh air, looking and feeling the best you have in years… this is what running is all about!
Plymouth PTS offers injury assessments and personalized recommendations. Our Board Certified clinicians create treatment plans and/or training plans just for you, based on your ability, skill level and age. State of the art tools are available to accomplish your goals, including high speed video analysis and the Alter G Anti-Gravity Treadmill.
Our 20 minute injury assessment discovery visits are available every 3rd Saturday of each month, in the morning.
To register for an assessment, call us at 248.615.0282 For more information visit https://performancerunningacademy.com
Performance Golf Academy (PGA)
Performance Golf Academy is a specialized fitness program that is designed for a variety of golfers. Our program is comprised of many different research validated movement screens that are paired together to best match each golfer.
Our golf specialists are trained and certified to perform and utilize:
- Applied Functional Science (AFS)
- Titleist Performance Institute (TPI)
- Functional Movement Screen (FMS)
- Selective Functional Movement Assessment (SFMA)
Good Health 30
Our Good Health 30 Program is a transitional program that allows patients to continue to use the facility equipment to exercise after being discharged from treatment. For a monthly payment of $80, a discharged patient can use the facility equipment during normal business hours in a friendly environment with familiar faces. The monthly program allows for a maximum period of 20 consecutive business days or four consecutive weeks.
This program invites our clients to utilize our exercise gym in order to maintain their level of conditioning. In the promotion of independence, the client is encouraged to practice exercise and training principles learned during treatment.
Yearly Orthopedic Physical / 3D Mapping
LSVT BIG is a research-backed protocol that has many years of research behind it, originally tailored specifically for individuals diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease. This treatment protocol focuses on large amplitude movements to offset smaller movements typically seen in those affected by Parkinson’s. This helps to keep quality of life maximized by teaching individuals the effort needed to produce these movements. LSVT, however, is not exclusively for individuals with Parkinson’s. It can also be delivered to any population that has balance, ambulation, strength, and range of motion difficulties. Furthermore, the LSVT protocol can be adapted to those who have conditions that require assistance with ambulation and are wheelchair or bed-ridden.
In the current environment, COVID-19 has made accessing LSVT certified clinicians difficult. Plymouth Physical Therapy Specialists is excited to expand the services we provide to include LSVT, making specialized care for those with Parkinson’s Disease and other balance/movement difficulties readily available. We are excited to provide this unique rehabilitation to this deserving population.
Kristin Turbiak, PT, DPT